Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day Challenge

In honor of Earth Day:

I'm not a tree-hugger. I don't eat only farm-raised, grass-fed beef. I don't drive a hybrid. I do try to be wise with my money and my time, and to be aware of how I have an impact on this world. I'd like to direct you to a previous post that I wrote with some easy steps that you can take to reduce your carbon footprint on Earth. I'd also like to encourage you to resolve to do one thing differently in the upcoming year (until next Earth Day). Buy reusable grocery bags, use a metal water bottle or coffee mug, start recycling, whatever. It doesn't matter to what you choose to do. What matters is that you do it.

We must be careful not to place the creation before the Creator. We must also be careful to be good stewards of what God has entrusted us with: in this case, it's our world. Take care of it. Stop being a self-centered, busy, selfish American and get over yourself and do one small thing differently this year to make an impact. How big of a deal is it, really, to use reusable grocery bags instead of plastic ones? How time consuming is it, really, to toss recyclables in a separate trash bin and put them out with the trash to be collected? How much effort is it, really, to bring your own coffee mug to Starbucks? What does it say about you and how much you value the creation that God placed you in if you're too lazy to do small things to take care of it? Baby steps go a long way when lots of people take them.

1 comment:

  1. yes. yes. and yes! I'm all over those reusable grocery bags, and we've learned to recycle so much stuff that we've almost managed to get down to one bag of garbage per week (and that's with hosting about 20 students in our home every week). Not bad, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!